Monday, October 13, 2014

Navy's 239th Birthday - Life at Sea with USS George Washington (part 1)


Today is the Navy's 239th Birthday.   From the Navy History website (link),

On Friday, October 13, 1775, meeting in Philadelphia, the Continental Congress voted to fit out two sailing vessels, armed with ten carriage guns, as well as swivel guns, and manned by crews of eighty, and to send them out on a cruise of three months to intercept transports carrying munitions and stores to the British army in America. This was the original legislation out of which the Continental Navy grew and as such constitutes the birth certificate of the navy.



Today, the US Navy is a robust fleet.  From Wikipedia (link),

323,561 active duty personnel
109,117 reserve personnel
289 ships
3,700+ aircraft
10 aircraft carriers
9 amphibious assault ships
10 amphibious transport docks
12 dock landing ships
22 cruisers
62 destroyers
10 frigates
4 littoral combat ships
72 submarines


Last summer, while visiting my husband in Korea, I found a blue photo album at the Osan Thrift Shop.  The cover was embossed with the seal from the USS George Washington (CVN 73).   I share the pictures from the album ...


Flight deck ... 


Maintenance ...


Operations ...


Thank you, US Navy, for your selfless service!  I am giving away a book choice from my convention stash to one randomly selected commenter from this week's blogs.  To enter the giveaway,

1.  What job would you do on an aircraft carrier?

2.  Comments are open through Saturday, October 18, 10 pm in Baltimore.

3.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, October 19.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Check out my blogs about:

- USS Constitution, link and link
- USS Missouri, link, link, and link
- USS Carl Vinson, link and link

 

15 comments:

  1. Thank you Kim for always remember the Navy with such sincerity. Happy Birthday Navy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Geri said! Thanks for celebrating the Navy's birthday every year! This is an excellent blog that shows a bit of life aboard a carrier. I'll be sure to promote it today for the Navy's 239th birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tribute, I enjoyed the pictures! I am great at reading maps, maybe I could be the navigator.. if there is such a thing :) lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Kim for the wonderful post, and I echo Geri's sentiments. God bless those who serve!
    *I'll be sharing your post as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend was the Captain's cook (I say Captain, but I could be wrong on the title). We got to tour the Aircraft Carrier (The USS John Stennis) while they were here. She took us around and we got to see the galley that she used for making his meals. (She only cooked for him). So, I think that is what I would do. It looked like a pretty good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to the US Navy. I would like to work on the flight deck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pics and facts. I would probably be behind a computer screen doing something or other lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those numbers are really impressive. Congrats to the US Navy on their birthday. I would choose to be a Secretary on board the carrier.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday USN! I am proud to have served.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pics, love to fly
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to work on the flight deck and use those flags.

    ReplyDelete
  12. fun pics! I'd be afraid to be on top cuz I wouldn't want to fall off :) So I'd pick operations. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm..I'd like Operations. God Bless all our service men and women.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd probably go for Operations - is that where supplies is? I've climbed around on a few carriers - it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete