Thursday, September 18, 2014

Aloha to New England - Minuteman National Historcal Park


The Minuteman National Historical Park brings Colonial history to life.  From its website (link),

MINUTE MAN NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK is located 22 miles outside of Boston within the towns of Lexington, Lincoln and Concord, Massachusetts. The park commemorates the opening battles of the American Revolution on April 19, 1775 by protecting, preserving and interpreting the significant historic sites, structures, landscapes, events and ideas embodied by these events.

Above is the Captain William Smith House.  Captain Smith was the commanding officer of the Lincoln, MA Minute Men and was also the borther of Abigail Adams.


Below is Hartwell Tavern - a restored 18th century home on the Battle Road:

On the night of April 18th, an advance guard of British soldiers captured Paul Revere and William Dawes just down the road from the tavern.


Dr. Samuel Prescott of Concord, who was riding with them, escaped by leaping his horse over a stone wall and fleeing through pasture and swamp. He emerged at the Hartwell Tavern.


Prescott awakened old Ephraim Hartwell and told him that the British regulars on the march.


Mary Hartwell then took over and relayed the message to Captain William Smith, commanding officer of the Lincoln Minute Men.


Thus the Lincoln Minute Men were warned in time, and arrived at the North Bridge before the British soldiers got there.


Are you a horse rider?  One randomly selected commenter from this week's blogs wins a book chocie from my convention stash.  Comments are open through Saturday, September 20, 10 pm in Baltimore.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, September 21.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Nathan Meriam's House along Battle Road

8 comments:

  1. I've never ridden a horse. I would love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have ridden horses many times, but am not skilled. My daughter is an excellent rider and used to compete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nope... Not even remotely interested in learning... I think there's something wrong w/ trying to tell a 1 ton animal what to do :) But they are pretty animals! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had a few rides on horses, however, not to crazy about it. I was scared.
    Not for me. I sure do enjoy the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've ridden numerous times and took some lessons as a kid. Don't think I've ridden in 20 years though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No although I've been on a horse a couple of times. Last time the horse fell!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have not, but lie horses
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete