Monday, September 15, 2014

Aloha to New England - Lexington Green


While I worked on Hanscom AFB, I often joined friends for lunch in Lexington - a town steeped in American history.  


Lexington honors the ships named after the town.


USS Lexington (1776), a brigantine 
USS Lexington (1825), a sloop-of-war
USS Lexington (1861), a timberclad gunboat 
USS Lexington II (SP-705), later USS SP-705, a patrol vessel 
USS Lexington (CC-1), a Lexington-class battlecruiser
USS Lexington (CV-2), a Lexington-class aircraft carrier 
USS Lexington (CV-16), an Essex-class aircraft carrier


Massachusetts celebrates April 19 as Patriots' Day.


From the History Place (link),

April 18, 1775 - General Gage orders 700 British soldiers to Concord to destroy the colonists' weapons depot.

That night, Paul Revere and William Dawes are sent from Boston to warn colonists. Revere reaches Lexington about midnight and warns Sam Adams and John Hancock who are hiding out there.

At dawn on April 19 about 70 armed Massachusetts militiamen stand face to face on Lexington Green with the British advance guard. An unordered 'shot heard around the world' begins the American Revolution. A volley of British muskets followed by a charge with bayonets leaves eight Americans dead and ten wounded. 


Lexington Green is home of Captain John Parker.


One of my friends married in the First Parish overlooking Lexington Green.


Oh, another book store! 


What is your favorite book store?  One randomly selected commenter from this week's blogs wins a book choice from my convention stash.  Comments are open through Saturday, September 20, 10 pm in Baltimore.  I'll post the winner on SOS Aloha on September 21.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City


7 comments:

  1. There was this used bookstore called Ruby's where I would go browse books and magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimh
    Barnes and noble, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barnes and Noble is the only left around. There used to be some used ones but they are gone. I still enjoy visiting though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in Canada and I go to Chapter's which is a huge store and it has a Starbucks and comfy chairs that you can sit in and read a book. I also buy my books from their online store.
    I just love the house in the first picture, I always wanted one like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. btw... that is a cute dog. I used to love Borders!!! Spend so much time and money there. Now, the B&Ns aren't very close to me, so all of my book shopping is now done on Amazon. I have my kindle if I need instant gratification :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Half Price Books and Barnes and Noble

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only bookstore nearby at all is a Barnes and Noble but I love finding, old and charming bookstores - many times they are used books too.

    ReplyDelete