Sunday, August 3, 2014

Aloha to San Antonio - Morning stroll to the Murals


Last Saturday, I enjoyed an early morning stroll along the Riverwalk. 



It was surreal to see these pubs without the crowds spilling out onto the Riverwalk.



These tropical flowers remind me of Hawaii.



San Antonio expanded the Riverwalk beyond the hotels, giving way to wide open spaces.



On the northern extension, I discovered this mural ...



... which offers cultural and historical hallmarks.


FromTexas Co-Op Power Magazine (link),

The mural of a Mexican village scene—one of the highlights along the impressive new northward extension of the San Antonio River Walk—features the maguey cactus in bloom that was the logo of Ethel Wilson Harris at the Mexican Arts and Crafts Workshop she owned on the banks of the San Antonio River. The mural was made in the 1930s at the workshop just steps from its new location. And the route it took to get back to its prime new spot on the River Walk’s wall beneath the El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel is part detective story, part history lesson.



From the Texas State Historical Association (link),

NAVARRO, JOSÉ ANTONIO (1795–1871). José Antonio Navarro, a leading Mexican participant in the Texas Revolution, son of María Josefa (Ruiz) and Ángel Navarro, was born at San Antonio de Béxar on February 27, 1795 ... A developing friendship with Stephen F. Austin served to deepen his interest in Texas colonization ... Along with his uncle, José Francisco Ruiz, and Lorenzo de Zavala,qqv he became one of the three Mexican signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence.



I discovered this waterfall by the Embassy Suites. 



Isn't this an appropriate sign for the weekly long events in San Antonio?



Back on street level, I found the bike rental that enables tourists to explore the extended route of the Riverwalk, including the two+ mile trek to the four other Spanish missions in San Antonio.   Would you walk, ride the bike, or take a cab to the other missions?  One randomly selected commenter from this week's blogs wins a book choice from my convention stash.  Comments are open through Saturday, August 16, 10 pm in Baltimore.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, August 17.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

A tempting waffle from the breakfast buffet

11 comments:

  1. Great pics. Brings back some memories of when I was there. Love the waffle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed your time in my city, Kim! And the bike share program isn't just for you tourists. I have an annual membership and use their bikes all the time to run errands downtown.

    Gail Hart

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a lovely city, isn't it! So glad I got to see you there, even briefly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was there last year, but didn't see as much as you did on your early morning stroll. Next time, I would ride a bike and hope to take in more of the local attractions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would walk rather than bike - I could see more and stop when I wanted to take pictures or rest without causing problems for others. We didn't get as far along the Riverwalk as you have. There's always next time! I prefer going in early spring or in November - I can do more without the heat getting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Probably walk and enjoy the sights leisurely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know how to ride a bike but I think I would like the walk! You can see so much that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love walking so I'd hoof it ;) Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. M taxi , great pcs,
    Thanks
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would most likely walk. Though the bikes would be tempting.

    ReplyDelete