Monday, August 4, 2014

Aloha to San Antonio - Morning Stroll to King William


Last Sunday was the mass exodus from San Antonio.  My roommate left at 530 am, prompting me to get up for one last stroll.



This time, I headed south to explore the extended Riverwalk into King William.  Still, all paths lead through the commercial section of the Riverwalk, including the Durty Nelly's Irish Pub.  


King William gave way to historic homes.  From the City of San Antonio (link),

The King William Historic District is located south of downtown and bounded by Durango, South St. Mary’s, Eagleland and the San Antonio River. The district encompasses land that was once irrigated farm land belonging to the Mission San Antonio de Valero, commonly known as the Alamo. When the mission was secularized in 1793, the lands were divided among the resident Indian families from the mission or sold at public auction. In the 1860s the area was subdivided into lots and laid out with the present streets.


It was about this time in the mid-nineteenth century that a great many Germans, who had immigrated to Texas in the 1840s, began to settle in this area, and it became known as "Sauerkraut Bend" to the rest of San Antonio. The area developed into an idyllic neighborhood of large, impressive houses designed in the Greek Revival, Victorian, and Italianate styles. The main street into the neighborhood was given the name King William in honor of King Wilhelm I, King of Prussia in the 1870s. During World War I, when America was at war with Germany, the name was changed to Pershing Avenue. A few years after the war ended the King William name was restored.


Walking back to the hotel district, San Antonio's landmark buildings peak over the greenery.



Even at dawn, the Riverwalk is beautiful, including the Arneson Theater - one of the film locations for MISS CONGENIALITY.



The bridge is named for Rosita Fernandez.  She starred with John Wayne in THE ALAMO.   Have you enjoyed my tour of San Antonio?  One randomly selected commenter from this week's blogs wins a book choice from my convention stash.   Comments are open through Saturday, August 16, 10 pm in Baltimore.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, August 17.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City

Iron bridge over the San Antonio River

10 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed my tour and thanks so much for taking me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely tour. I really like that house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My roommate left at 5:30 too, Kim. I rolled over and went back to sleep. lol

    Thanks for the travelogue. I've enjoyed your photos!

    *Don't include me in the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the lovely photos. I didn't see half as much as you did of San Antonio, so I'm glad that you took the time to post these for us to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the tour of San Antonio. I have enjoyed learning about it and seeing the wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have enjoyed the pictures very much, that I actually went searching for more pictures on web. It is just so beautiful there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your tour of San Antonio - brought back some good memories of when we visited.

    ReplyDelete