Thursday, July 17, 2014

Aloha to the Annapolish Irish Festival - Out and About



The Infamous Welsh Cookie Co. intrigued me.  From its website (link),

Welsh Cookies are known by many other names, including Miners Cakes or Welsh Cakes. The Welsh name for them is Pice Ar Y Maen. Generations of coal and slate miners in Wales took these nutritious “cakes” to work every day. Traditionally, Welsh Cookies contained black currants and nutmeg. Miner’s wives rolled and fried the cakes each morning much like we now make pancakes. The resulting cookie has a biscuit-like flavor and texture. I often tell people that if you combined the best characteristics of pancakes, shortbread, scones, and biscuits, the result would be a Welsh Cookie.



Of course I had to chat with the teens manning the Kona Ice truck.   The guys told me they had lei tucked away ...



... and I asked them to wear the lei and give me the shaka!



Kudos to the Vets for their service!

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City



7 comments:

  1. Wonderful pics. I need to try a Welsh cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be my kind of a cake to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of a Welsh cake before - I always learn something here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting sounding cookie

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Welsh cake sounds yummy. And the Kona Ice makes me want some Shave Ice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great post! I have never had a Welsh cake, but will have to try them now. ;D

    ReplyDelete