Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Aloha to the RT Booklovers' Convention - Day Three: Welcome Party and Club RT


Wednesday morning began with the Welcome Party:

Join us as we kick off this year’s RT Booklovers Convention with a special salute salute to the Pioneers of Multicultural Fiction with tributes from Brenda Jackson, Sandra Kitt and Beverly Jenkins. Also join us as our Bookseller of the Year is announced.


Kathryn Falk, founder of RT, took to the stage to chat about:

- SOS America, the charity she founded after 9/11 to connect the publishing community with miltiary families
- Lindsay McKenna as the pioneer of Military Romances (she is a Vietnam era Navy veteran)
- Heather Graham for her efforts to revitalize New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina
- Kate Ryan (RT's Bookstores That Care Network Coordinator), whose uncle designed the WWII Museum in New Orleans (everyone who visited the museum raved about it)
- Megan Bamford, Bookseller of the Year, a romance enthusiast from Australia
- and the beautiful tribute to Brenda Jackson, Sandra Kitt, and Beverly Jenkins.  

Kathryn Falk is an excellent speaker.  Her knowledge of the publishing industry demonstrates that she, too, is a pioneer in giving Romance a voice and even a visioin.  I am a better reader for Kathryn's efforts.


After the welcome party, I set up my promo table for SOS America in Club RT - a meeting area for authors, readers, vendors, and raffle baskets.   Above is Damon Suede (center) with his harem.   He has one where ever he goes ...




Felice Fox greeted readers with a smile.



Cherry Adair (not pictured) led the charge to fight cancer with her friends Tina deSalvo and Stella Barcelona.



The lovely ladies from Choc Lit proudly waved the Union Jack.  
I am giving away a book choice from my convention stash to one randomly selected commenter from this week's blogs.  To enter the giveaway, leave a comment about New Orleans - what do you know about it?  Comments are open through Saturday, May 24, 10 pm in Baltimore.  I'll post the winner on Sunday, May 25, on my book blog, SOS Aloha.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City 



14 comments:

  1. Great pics, would love to visit, love the food, Marcdi Graz, bourbon st, thanks so much
    Kimh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know about Mardi Gras. I knew a man who went and cheated on his wife and it was featured on the TV>=.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New Orleans reminds me of Mardi Gras, great music and definitely great food.
    It would be a magical place to be. Sadly it also reminds me of the horrible flooding there years back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart leaped when I saw all the Union Jacks. What I know about New Orleans is that everybody that goes there, seems to have a wonderful time. I'd love to go there myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved meeting the authors from Chocolate Lit. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New Orleans is on my list of places to visit. I want to take the ghost tours, listen to Jazz on Bourbon St., visit Cafe du Monde, and taste all the wonderful food I hear about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it's famous for its cemetery tours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. New Orleans is a great old city, with a rich heritage that reflects it many influences: French (place names like the Vieux Carre, government,) Cajun French (joy of life, language, many foods,) Spanish (the Cabildo, decorative ironwork on buildings throughout the area,) German (farming, benevolent and social societies, food--especially sausages,) and African (music, dance, food like jambalaya.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been to NOLA, but have books set there (historical and contemporary) and am fascinated by it's history - I'd love to visit someday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been to New Orleans once and I definitely want to go back again. I know that the walking tour through the garden district is wonderful, the cemetery tours are very interesting, the beignets are yummy, the food is great, and I could just go on and on. Such an interesting city!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think New Orleans is mostly known for being a party town.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never been to New Orleans, but I know they have Mardi Gras every year and has a great jazz music scene. One of these days, I will have to visit there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. New Orleans is also known as The Big Easy or as the cool kids call it NOLA, and their NFL team is the Saints.

    ReplyDelete