Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Aloha to Pella, Iowa - A Touch of Holland


Last summer, my inlaws drove across the midwest from Ohio to Nebraska for a wedding.  They stopped at Pella, Iowa, "A Touch of Holland". 


From its website (link),

Pella was founded in 1847 by 800 Dutch immigrants led by Henry Peter Scholte. Scholte and the other immigrants were fleeing famine and religious persecution at the hands of the state church of the Netherlands. Before leaving the Netherlands, the immigrants decided to name their new home Pella, or City of Refuge, in the prairieland of Iowa.



Pella is the childhood home of Wyatt Earp. Wyatt’s father, Nicholas Porter Earp, settled on a farm near Pella. Wyatt’s brothers, Warren and Morgan, were born in Pella. 


The picturesque town later became known as the Garden City. It is famous for Tulip Time, the annual spring tulip festival.



Wouldn't it be lovely to visit during the spring?  Oh, Spring, please come!   Have you visited a place that resembles another?

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City


Pella looks authentic - above is a picture of my children
when we lived in the Netherlands
.




10 comments:

  1. Oh, I love these pics Kim. I've been to Holland for the Tulip Festival. It was lovely, and we really enjoyed the parade of all the vehicles which were beautifully decorated. I haven't been to a place that resembles another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids look so cute on the shoe. I would love also to visit those places and give myself a photo. Thank you for sharing. Maybe it could be a good place this valentines day.

    military wives

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Netherlands. My aunt and her family live there and she's always telling us to come visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't think of one - most places are unique in one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I am adding this to my list pf places to visit. Thanks.
    There are some cities in Michigan that resemble town in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute town! And yes, I have visited Solvang, CA several times. It is like a little town in Denmark.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't really think of one. Wow! The boys sure have grown up since that picture was taken.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an adorable town. I have to see how far it is from where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete