Sunday, September 1, 2013

Aloha to the Maryland Renaissance Festival (part 1)



The Maryland Renaissance Festival is underway in Crownsville (link). This annual event is the second largest Renaissance fair in the United States.  Each year, Revel Grove comes to life in the permanent set to create a 16th century English village.   The cast recreates a year in the reign of Henry VIII.


Upon entering the village gates (where weapons are prohibited), we met one of the knights who partake in the daily jousting match.   The knight explained how his armor protects him in battle.


Many revelers dress up in costume - these costumes are perfect for Romance conventions!


The village offers numerous venues to watch "ye olde entertainment". Our first stop - the Gatehouse Stage to see ABSOLUTELY NOTHING - an improv routine.   The gentle lady asked for a volunteer ....


... so my family pointed to my husband.


A showman himself, my husband added to the comedy.


The comedy team recruited another volunteer - the group of men had to answer questions from the audience, each adding one word to the answer. The improv troupe noted the volunteers are often funnier than themselves.


Musicians are scattered throughout the village, including this harp player.


These lasses join in the fun with their costumes.


At first, I thought this was Buddha, stretching, but it is a leprechaun.   It brought us luck as the next act was .... the Rogues, a Scottish pipe and drum band (link).   

Sigh.  Scotland.

I'll continue coverage of the Maryland Renaissance Festival, including the Rogues, in my next post.

Mahalo,

Kim in Baltimore
Aloha Spirit in Charm City



10 comments:

  1. It looks like you're all having a good time. I love going to the Renaissance Festivals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Ren Fest looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fun! Love their clothing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to go to one of those fairs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot wait until Oct./Nov. here in NC. We always go to the Carolina Renaissance Festival here. It seems to be the same setup y'all have there and we always have a blast. Thank you for sharing this with us and I'm looking forward to seeing more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wanted to go to a Ren Fest and they look like fun, but they've always been held, here in Texas, when it's just too hot for me.

    ReplyDelete