Thursday, May 30, 2013

Aloha from Korea!


Aloha from Korea!   We departed from Honolulu on Sunday, May 26, at 11:15 am ... and arrived in Inchon on Monday, May 27, at 4:45 pm.   It's a 9 /12 hour flight across the International Date Line.   We enjoyed two South Korea movies with English subtitles:

CONFESSION OF MURDER (link) an intriguing crime drama.

MASQUERADE (link) a beautiful historical drama.  It reminded me of Kevin Kline in DAVE (link).

Confession of Murder-poster.jpgGwanghae.jpg

My husband met us at the airport and we caught the shuttle back to Osan Air Base -  hour and half drive through rollings hills that reminded me of MASH.


My husband lives in a small one bedroom apartment with the other unaccompanied officers.



Because the base is compact and the infrastructure is restricted, inbound personnel apply for "command sponsorship" to bring their families.   We chose not to apply ... I wanted that extra year in Hawaii.  I think I made the right decision as families live in three high rise apartment buildings.  



The weather has been rainy and foggy for the past two days, giving us the opportunity to recover from jet lag.  The sun finally came out, brightening our outlook on Korea.    Tomorrow we plan to explore the city of Osan.  

On Saturday, my husband and boys are joining the local Boy Scout troop on the Task Force Smith Trail.  It commemorates the route of the American forces to repel communists from South Korea.   

On Sunday, we kick off our week stay at the Dragon Inn on  Yongsan Army Garrison to explore Seoul.   

The following week, we fly to China.

More pictures to come!

Mahalo,

Kim in Korea



18 comments:

  1. Hi Kim, I am enjoying your tours and the pictures are awesome, thank you soooo much for sharing your life with us. Awesome.

    cenya2 at Hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it safely! I can't wait to see more pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to Korea with a tour group once for 4 days. It was interesting. I think you'll have fun in China too! Definitely a very different culture...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like everything is going smoothly. Glad the weather is imporoving. I didn't realize you were going to China too. I had a friend go there last year and she enjoyed it very much. Looking forward to hearing all about it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aloha, Kim and Annyong haseyo! Have a great trip and take care!
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wanted to visit Korea. I would have even been up to a tour there. I'm looking forward to your posts. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Know you'll have a wonderful time and get the most from the visit. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you're all having a wonderful time. You must be really happy to be back together as a family.

    Wow, China is your next stop. Cool, are you going to go to the Great Wall of China?

    Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what an awesome trip. Glad you got there safely and had a little bit of time to recover from the long travel there. Looking forward to hearing more about your trip. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim,
    Thank you so much for sharing. Wonderful pics. I had the pleasure of flying into Osan for a week of shopping in Seoul. Fabulous time! Enjoy the remaining days in Korea and wow, China, how exciting. Know you'll love it! *Hugs*
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so jealous. Are enjoying the food? I'm craving Korean barbecue and chap chae.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very glad you guys arrived safely! Are there guest quarters for visiting families? Are Boy Scout troops the same regardless of the country? Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to visit China., I want to see the great wall and the soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pictures glad you're enjoying your stay. My husband told the army, when they pulled him off a levy for Germany and later he called to see what overseas tours were available and they offered him Korea he said he didn't lose anything there. He did however spend several weeks there each year we were in Hawaii for Team Spirit. Have a safe trip to China and looking forward to more awesome pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. 安全之旅。I hope I got it right, I just translated it in Google. I means "Safe Trip." :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful trip. And I'm sure your hubby is glad to have y'all there with him.

    ReplyDelete